Darlene Tickey, Principal
The budget process for the 2013-14 school year has begun. I have been meeting with staff to plan a budget which meets the needs of all Sunnyside School staff and students. Below, I would like to share my budget requests with the Sunnyside School community:
- Maintain all current staffing which includes general education teachers, special education teachers, paraprofessionals, instructional tutors, library media specialist, nurse, psychologist, social worker, school counselor, and special area teachers such as music, physical education, and art.
The above mentioned request is needed in order to support our School Improvement Plan and provide the necessary services to ensure high academic rigor for all students.
Please note that as I project to the 2013-2014 school year there will be a need to reallocate one teacher from one grade to another in order to address class size.
The Superintendent and the Board of Education support my budget request.
Please understand that before any of the above-mentioned requests could be added, the following rollover costs must be addressed:
Teachers = $1,300,000
Non-Certified = $340,000
Stipend Positions - $296,000
- Health Insurance = $1,300,000
- Social Security and Medicare = $80,000
- Retirement/Severence = $350,000
- Regular Education = $350,000
- Special Education = $140,000
- Athletic/Field Trips = $14,000
THIS TOTAL EQUALS APPROXIMATELY $4,200,000 FOR JUST WHAT WE HAVE NOW, WITH NO ADDITIONS
Please note that:
- Every school has certified staff raises that will be paid in 2013-14
- Every school has non-certified raises that will be paid in 2013-14
- Every school has benefit costs for health insurance, social security, and medicare
- Every school that has had a retiree has retirement benefit costs (i.e. Accumulated sick leave payout/severance)
- Every school has regular and SPED transportation and Field Trip cost increases
No school is exempt from the above rollover costs.
I hope this information will be helpful to the Sunnyside School Community as the district moves forward in the budget process.
Please attend budget meetings and learn all you need to know to support the Shelton Public School System.
See GENERAL INFO for our school hours!
PTO Meeting: May 6 at 6:30 p.m.
Mother's Day Plant Sale: May 10 during school
Early Dismissal: May 15th
Bridgeport Bluefish Readathon: May 3 - May 31
Spring Concert: May 21st at 10:30 a.m.
Father's Club Meeting: May 21st at 7 p.m.
Memorial Day: May 27th NO SCHOOL
Rita's Italian Ice Fundraiser: May 30th at 6-9 p.m., 1055 Huntington Tpke, Bridgeport, CT
It is important for the faculty of Sunnyside to have a common set of beliefs that they accept and represent collectively. In this ever changing world we must meet the needs of our students to prepare them for tomorrow. We at Sunnyside School provide a strong academic program by setting high expectations by identifying where our students are and by providing the instruction they need to meet these expectations. Sunnyside School provides each student with a diverse education that promotes self-discipline, motivation and excellence in a safe learning environment.
The Sunnyside Community works together to assist the students:
· in becoming life long learners who express creativity in constructive wholesome life exchanges;
· in becoming self-motivated, responsible problem solvers;
· in striving to realize their self-worth and full potential; and
· in being cognizant of the needs of others.
The students at Sunnyside School will become well-rounded academically, physically and socially.